Tuesday, February 17, 2009

The opening words may be the best

by Marco Pete

About two years ago, I was lecturing auditing, which many students say is a boring subject, considering that it is language orientated in a numbers driven environment.

One of my students, who had a bad habit of arriving late for every test and class, one day asked me, after my lecturing to her for many months, what my qualifications were.

I rattled off my qualifications, saying that I was a chartered accountant, had a Master’s degree in computer auditing and a diploma or two.

As you may have guessed, she had missed my first lecture where I had informed my students of who I was and why I was qualified to lecture them.

With a shocked expression on her face, she replied, "But sir, you are so down to earth!"

I replied that just because I was a chartered accountant, does not make me a better person than another fellow human being. We can all learn something from one another.

The moral of the story is: Don’t be late for class; the best part of the lecture may be the opening words.

No comments:

Post a Comment